Well it’s time to post now any who. Because I have a few things on my chest and I want to get them off.
It’s currently the summer of 2014, I just finished my internship at EQ, and I’m about to head off into a 6.5 week adventure in London. Within the past few months I’ve learned a few things and I’d love to share with you all.
1. People are inefficient
Our world is not perfect, nor will it ever be. People make mistakes and subsequently everything we are surrounded by is also prone to mistakes. When you want to get things done, trusting people by ‘word’ alone really isn’t enough. Talk is cheap.
EX. I though I was told I was going to receive a certain amount of financial aid by an advisor, but it was actually much less. Orrr, when I talked to a BOA representative who said exchanging US dollars into pounds would only take one business day. It’s true you can exchange in one business day, but you also have to pay a $20 dollars shipping fee which she neglected to tell me until I was about to order….
It’s crucial to read in between the lines. You have to double and triple check the important things, because in the end, you’re the only one that gets the short end of the stick.
Well there’s really no number 2, I think I just really wanted to complain about #1
- Read the Bible There’s probably over a million times where I take the Word for granted. As I’ve grown older I’ve come to realize that’ it’s not about wanting to read the Bible more, but needing Scripture as the foundation of my life for instruction, for rest, and for hope. "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free" John 8:31-32
- Be Patient I’m going to practice being patient. As silly at this sounds, it’s something I need to work on. I’m always staring at the microwave when it’s heating my food, I snack away when I’m in the middle of cooking dinner, and I can’t stand slow internet. This year I will practice patience, cuz ya know it’s a virtue.
- Call my Grandparents I will call my grandparents more. When I was visiting them earlier this year in China, I realized that they had dozens of photos of me by their bedsides, on walls, in frames. Some tarnished photos, some wrinkled from being handled too much, and some brand new. After all this time passing, I’ve so easily forgotten how much they loved me. So, this year I will call them more, and besides, grandparents always tell the best stories.
- Get a Better Shot in Water Polo I’ve always been more of a defensive player in water polo but it never hurts to work on my shot because frankly it’s been sucking lately..
- Try New Recipes What did I discover in 2013? I love cooking! Mainly because I love eating. I cooked a lot with my summer roomie, and since then I have come to grow very fond of a home cooked meal. I have made tilapia, ceviche, a stew, and assortments of stir frys, pastas, and Asian dishes to name a few. So this year I want to try 20 new recipes and share at least half of these meals with my friends!
remember the first day of freshman year of college when we were nothing but a name and a dot on the map at the front of the hall?
remember when we did not cry when our parents left us in those rooms too cramped for all of our expectations (and, perhaps, naïveté)?
remember the first…
powerful, refreshing, and relevant